Wellness at the heart of the bathroom: create your own sanctuary
Over the past few years, bathroom renovations have become increasingly popular as homes demand a welcoming and comfortable bathroom in which to relax. There is no doubt that the bathroom has become, together with the bedroom, the main space for well-being in the home. According to designer Remy Meijers in another article, “the perfect bathroom should be a space where you can find yourself”.
In contrast to the chaos and vibrant life of the rest of the house, the bedroom and bathroom are a haven, a space to unwind. With the growing popularity of personal care and health, beauty routines and facial and body hygiene, people are looking for a pleasant space where they can perform these routines.
A comfortable bathroom should be functional as well as aesthetically pleasing. With this in mind, Cosentino gives you the keys to help you design your new sanctuary in the bathroom, drawing inspiration from the best interiors and design surfaces.
How to design a spa bathroom integrated into the bedroom
One of the main trends in today’s and future homes is the integration of the bathroom into the bedroom, and even into the dressing room, resulting in seamless spaces without architectural barriers.
In this article, we give you some tips that will allow you to create a spa feeling in your bathroom:
- Bring nature into your bathroom, by using natural materials such as wood and natural stone, by opening up views to the outside or by using greenery.
- Connect the dressing room and the bathroom to create a greater sense of spaciousness. You can also create a small transitional space between the two in which to relax, with armchairs, rugs and even a fireplace.
- Go for both bathtub and shower to have the freedom to choose between a quick daily shower and a relaxing bath. Freestanding bathtubs are the most popular due to their elegant design. Meanwhile, showers feature relaxing effects, steam cabin and chromotherapy for added sophistication.
- Create continuity by using large-format design surfaces, such as Dekton, which allow a total look in a single colour for flooring, cladding, countertop and the shower tray.
- Play with direct and indirect lighting, creating different atmospheres, e.g., dim lighting in the shower and bathtub to promote relaxation.
Colours and materials for a comfortable bathroom that conveys wellness
There is no doubt that the choice of colours and materials is key to creating the much-desired feeling of wellness. For example, colours inspired by nature have the ability to connect us to nature and transport us to other places. With the Onirika collection by Dekton, we go for marbled patterns full of character that are capable of mesmerising. We also reclaim the timeless beauty of natural stone through our latest collection, Pietra Kode, which is inspired by classic stones from Italy.
Choose neutral and warm colours for large surfaces such as floors, panelling and all types of cladding. In this respect, we recommend that you choose colours with a light background, such as Nacre and Albarium, from the Kraftizen collection, Neural from the Onirika collection, or VK01 Nebbia, from Pietra Kode.
Not only is the colour important, but also the texture of the surface: in recent years there is a preference for matt finishes and rough, irregular textures that are pleasant to the touch.
The importance of keeping your bathroom clean and tidy
In the home, tidiness and cleanliness are synonymous with well-being. The bathroom should be a place for self care and unwinding, a place to take a relaxing shower after a long day. But all too often this is not possible because of the difficulty of keeping it clean and tidy. Whether it is because of the hectic pace of life, because you share the bathroom with other family members or simply because you don’t have enough space, your bathroom can be far from the personal spa you had originally envisioned.
Here are some tips to help you keep your bathroom clean and tidy at all times and with ease:
- When designing your bathroom furniture, consider the storage space you will need to make the best use of the available space. A good trick is to light up the inside of the cabinets so that you can see everything at a glance and to use cabinet and drawer organisers. In the case of open furniture, such as shelves, you can use natural fibre baskets for your personal items.
- Using large-format surfaces for flooring and cladding, such as 3200 x 1440 mm Dekton slabs, minimises the number of joints, making it more hygienic and easier to clean.
- When choosing your sanitary ware, avoid designs with many joints and places where dirt can accumulate. Today, rimless toilets, floor-level showers, freestanding bathtubs and contactless technology for taps and cisterns facilitate daily maintenance and reduce cleaning requirements.
- Choose low-maintenance, easy-to-clean surfaces such as Silestone and Dekton. Both have very low porosity, so they are resistant to limescale and soap stains and can be cleaned with a damp cloth and neutral soap.
If you dream of designing a comfortable bathroom where you can spend more time and relax, visit one of our Cosentino City to get inspired and choose the finish that best suits your project.