8 Top Tips for Improving Kitchen Hygiene
News, Top Faces
March 19, 2020
Maite Pelayo, Microbiologist advises, “Only with our hygienic acts and attitudes will we be able to stop the spread of infections, protecting our health and that of other more vulnerable groups.”
The kitchen is the heart of the home, and often a space where we are in close proximity to others on a daily basis. As a key area in the house, preventive measures must be applied in the kitchen to fight against possible infections which pose health risks, such as Covid-19 or ‘Coronavirus’.
First of all, it is important to keep in mind that a virus is a microorganism, which means it cannot reproduce on surfaces or in food but it can remain in these places after contamination.
To help us to avoid possible infections, Maite Pelayo, Microbiologist and Technical Spokesperson for the Silestone Institute, offers advice on how to protect ourselves in the kitchen.
8 Hygiene Tips for Your Home Kitchen
- Spend 1 minute washing your hands with warm soapy water, rubbing thoroughly for 15 to 20 seconds on your fingers, back of hands and wrists. Then wipe dry with a clean cloth or single-use paper towel.
- Clean worktops and surfaces frequently with a household cleaner or with soap and water, leaving the cleaner to act for a few minutes with a scouring pad intended exclusively for this purpose. Rinse and dry with a clean cloth.
- Clean the knobs on the doors and cabinets, the light switch, the fridge handle and any other areas which are touched often.
- Cook food at a high temperature above 70º and keep food covered to avoid contamination.
- Consume cooked food as soon as possible, or if the food is not going to be consumed immediately refrigerate it or keep it warm above 65º.
- Where possible, use a dishwasher at maximum temperature to clean dishes and kitchenware.
- Change and wash kitchen towels and textiles frequently and at the maximum temperature. Leave any scouring pads and cloths to soak in 10% bleach for five minutes.
- Once finished in the kitchen, always do a general clean of the kitchen and floor, and ventilate well.