Modern style with Cosentino
Modern style refers to the architecture and aesthetic trend of the early and mid 20th century. Its hallmarks are the use of clean white lines with open spaces, cement and tubular steel structures and large glass apertures, as well as the removal of everything superfluous.
Modern and contemporary styles are often confused even though they have nothing to do with each other. Contemporary style refers to current trends while the modern style is that which was developed in the period between the wars and up to the mid 20th century.
Figures such as Le Corbusier, Mies van der Rohe and Frank Lloyd Wright are considered to be the fathers of modern architecture.
Photographs of iconic modern-style buildings are already part of the social imagery, such as Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater House, the Guggenheim Museum in New York or Mies van der Rohe's Barcelona Pavilion.
Many of these architects also designed furniture. Their works had such a strong character that not everything was suitable for them. So they started designing their own furniture. The LC4 Chaise Lounge (Le Corbusier), the Barcelona Chair (Mies van der Rohe) or the Lounge Chair (Charles and Ray Eames) are perhaps some of the most iconic pieces. The simplicity of lines, the comfort and the use of aluminium tubes are present in all these designs.
Best-selling colours of the modern series
Silestone and modern design
Modern decoration uses solid colours on large surfaces. White -the combination of all colours- and black -the absence of them- are the keys to any modern proposal. Modern style finishes are generally matt, with little texture and no veins.
From the Loft Collection we go for the Nolita finish because it is perfect for open spaces and conveys a feeling of purity and calm.
Concepts such as “pure art”, line and colour combined in the same space, are very much present in the art movement of the first half of the 20th century and, therefore, in the modern style.
We choose Silestone Blanco Zeus and Iconic White as base materials.
If you feel like using primary colours for some surfaces, then use them sparingly on kitchen furniture, lamps or seats, for example.
The most modern Dekton
Dekton also has interesting suggestions to help you get modern décor into your home. We love the colours Zenith and Moone, from the DK Solid collection, as a white background for a modern decorative style. If you are looking to combine white with an all-black surface, then choose the classic Dekton Sirius or Dekton Domoos.
Modern style decorative tips
Ranging from cladding to worktops, washbasins to shower trays, Cosentino offers you a wide range of ideas to create a modern look in your living room, kitchen or bathroom.
- Choose a pure white background, without shine, textures and veins. Keep in mind the principles of 20th century architecture: gradual abstraction to shapes (horizontal and vertical straight lines) and primary colours.
- Combine that white background with a black surface such as a worktop or wall cladding.
- If you feel brave, you can experiment with primary colours in furniture, lighting and fabrics. Never use more than two colours and always do it in blocks, for example, a blue sofa and a yellow armchair.
- Use a design icon as a source of inspiration and main theme for your modern style project, basing the entire project around it. For example, if you choose the Eames Lounge Chair, imagine the atmosphere you want to create around it.
- And remember that good design never goes out of fashion and that a modern style home will always be trendy.