8 kitchen hygiene tips to avoid infection
1 year ago | Written by: Cosentino
Maite Pelayo, microbiologist: “only with our hygienic acts and attitudes will we be able to stop the spread of infections, protecting our health and that of other more vulnerable groups”.
The kitchen is the center of life at home, where we live very closely and, therefore, it is a key space in which preventive measures must be applied against possible infections. Especially in situations of health risk, as is currently the case with the Covid-19. First of all, it must be borne in mind that a virus is a microorganism that cannot reproduce on surfaces or in food but can remain in them. To avoid possible infections, Maite Pelayo, microbiologist and technical spokesperson for the Silestone Institute, tells us how to protect ourselves from infections in the kitchen.
8 tips of hygiene in the kitchen for the care of our health
- Spend 1 minute washing hands with warm soapy water, scrubbing vigorously for 15 to 20 seconds, fingers, back of hands and wrists. Then wipe dry with a clean cloth or single-use paper towel.
- Clean countertops and surfaces frequently with a household cleaner or with soap and water, rubbing them with a scouring pad intended exclusively for this purpose and leave to act for a few minutes. Rinse and dry with a clean cloth.
- Always keep the common spaces clean, the knobs on the doors and cabinets, the light switch, the fridge handle …
- Cook food at a high temperature above 70? and keep it protected to avoid recontamination.
- If the food is not going to be consumed immediately, refrigerate it or keep it warm above 65?. Consume them as soon as possible.
- Clean the dishes and kitchenware, preferably in a dishwasher, at maximum temperature.
- Change and wash kitchen towels and textile frequently in each cooking session and at maximum temperature. Leave the scouring pads and cloths to soak in 10% bleach for five minutes.
- Once the cooking is finished, do a general cleaning of the kitchen and the floor and ventilate the entire environment.