Preparing, doing and storing your supermarket shopping
April 2, 2020
During the periods of confinement, it´s necessary to implement correct food management actions that aim to lengthen the availability of products without storing too much food to avoid wastage.
On these days we will handle more food since we will probably multiply the number of meals and diners, trying to distance the number of times we go out to buy.
The special sanitary circumstances in which we find ourselves obliges us to extreme safety and hygiene conditions. The Silestone Institute advises:
Plan the supermarket shopping
- Program the menus well in advance making a detailed shopping list.
- If we do not have a pantry, create a fund with long-lasting foods such as dried vegetables, pasta and rice, but also cans of preserves or powdered milk … but without ever falling into hoarding.
At the supermarket
- Go to the center avoiding rush hours and trying to maintain a safety distance of at least one meter with other clients. Of course, do not go if we have any symptoms that make us suspect that we are infected.
- Carry our own shopping bags avoiding using carts and baskets from the supermarket.
- Do not talk over food (and of course do not cough or sneeze!), It do not reproduce them, but it could become a material support for the virus.
- Do not touch food without wearing gloves and throw them away afterwards. Preferably use your own cloth sachets.
- Make the usual purchase including fresh products. Frozen food, both industrial and home made -in hygienic conditions-, are an excellent option in these cases.
- Pay with a card better than in cash to avoid touching bills and coins.
- Once at home, deposit the bags on the floor, wash your hands and put the food in its storage place, putting the oldest in front. Take advantage to review the expiration dates or preferred consumption.
- Wash the bags used in the washing machine on a hot water program.
- When cooking, respect the usual practices of good food handling.
- Take advantage of traditional seasonal recipes to avoid food waste at all costs.