Cosentino Group is pleased to announce the jury’s verdict of its 9th annual international Cosentino Design Challenge. This student competition aims to foster talent and promote research into the different conceptual approaches to the layout of spaces, materials and the construction systems that define them, using materials made by the Cosentino Group. Entries are accepted from design, architecture and interior design students from around the globe.
This year’s competition received a total of 278 applications (135 projects for the architecture category and 143 projects for the design category), a 31 percent increase in participation over last year. A total of 15 prestigious institutions, schools and international universities actively participated through official partnership with the Cosentino Design Challenge 2015: University of Technology Sydney (Australia), Istituto Europeo di Design (Italy), American Society of Interior Designers (USA), Instituto Superior Técnico da Universidade de Lisboa (Portugal), ESAM Design (France), Lasalle College of the Arts (Singapore), Escuela artediez de Madrid (Spain), Escuela de Arquitectura de la Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain), Escuela de Arquitectura de Sevilla (Spain), Escuela de Arte de Almería (Spain), Escuela Superior de Diseño de Alicante (Spain), Escuela de Arquitectura de la Universidad de Zaragoza (Spain), Escuela Arquitectura de Universidad Politécnica de Barcelona (Spain), Escuela de Arquitectura de la Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (Spain) and Escuela de Arquitectura de la Univesidad de Navarra.
The architecture competitors had to present an architectural proposal based on the topic themed ‘‘Playground: Fun with Surfaces.” Architecture Category Winners:
- “Lightside” from Alejandro Mosquera (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de A Coruña / Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Sevilla)
- “Ghost Playtown” from Manuel Ruiz (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Granada)
- “Materia Viva” from Cecilia López (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid)
- “Fill The Gap, Feel The Gap” from Agustín Martínez (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid)
- “Cosentino Falls” from Alejandra Sánchez (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid)
- “Piazza Cosentino” from Ángela Salvador y María López (Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid)
- “Multicelebrations Space” from Jonathan Balderrama (UDABOL Universidad de Aquino, Bolivia)
- “Jelly Beans” from Jorge Luis Ríos and Marta González-Llanos Rey (Escuela artediez, Madrid)
- “Kanyon” from Léa Le Boucher, Maëva Jalu, Ysaline Daguy, Marie Boutiller, Anaïs Cipriano and Julie Saunier (ESAM Design Paris)
- “Loyalty” from Iván Blazquez (Escuela artediez, Madrid)
- “Grantam” from Berta Resina, Patricia Uriszar and Marta Fernández (Escuela artediez de Madrid)
- “CUC” from Rubén Sabater (Escuela Superior de Diseño de Alicante)
The winners were chosen on June 23 at the Cosentino Center in Granada, Spain. The panel of judges included representatives from the schools and universities that collaborated in the competition: Ms. Endriana Audisho from the Australian University of Technology Sydney; Mr. Giacomo Bertolazzi from Istituto Europeo di Design; Mr. Francisco Teixeira Bastos from the Escola Técnica Superior d’Arquitectura de Lisboa; Mr. Ang Xiwei from Lasalle College of Arts; Ms. Isabel Plaza de la Escuela artediez Madrid; Mr. Raúl Fraga from Escuela de Arquitectura de Madrid; Mr. Jorge Roa from Escuela de Arquitectura de Sevilla; Mr. Antonio Castilla from Escuela de Arte de Almería; Mr. Jorge Marín from Escuela Superior de Diseño de Alicante; Ms. Taciana Laredo from Universidad de Zaragoza; Mr. Jaume Prat from Escuela Arquitectura Barcelona; and Mr. Héctor García Diego from Escuela de Arquitectura of Universidad de Navarra. Architect and designer, Daniel Germani was also invited to take part in the judging and Santiago Alfonso, Director of Communication and Marketing represented Cosentino Group. The theme of the tenth edition of the Cosentino Design Challenge will be announced later this year. For more information about the competition and to view the outstanding work of these students, please visit www.cosentinodesignchallenge.org or see the conversation with #CosentinoDC9.PR_Cosentino reveals Cosentino Design Challenge winners