Cook healthier dishes taking advantage of seasonal foods
News, Top Life
April 24, 2020
Although this spring we have to be in confinement, Silestone Institute recognizes what seasonal foods we have within our reach and which will allow us to save on purchases and enjoy cooking by preparing fresher, richer and healthier meals.
Fruits and vegetables in April continue in abundance. It is time to make the most of it.
Food that we can enjoy in spring
Orange juice in the morning, can continue to be part of the menu, since oranges continue to be a seasonal fruit, in addition to other citrus fruits such as grapefruit or lemon.
The fruit that dominates the most this season is strawberries, a very healthy food that is at its best.
Among the vegetables, we can still enjoy: cabbages, chicory, spinach, chard and celery. And, if you like artichokes, make the most of them because you have little time left in the optimal season for this vegetable.
On the other hand, if salads are appealing, you can make one with ingredients such as avocado, apple, spinach, fresh garlic, onions, asparagus or carrots. All can be fresh with your own ingredients from the garden.
The outstanding vegetable of the month of April is the green bean that is added to other vegetables that continue in season such as peas, young beans and snap peas.
Another food that is in bounty in spring, thanks to humidity and mild temperatures, is mushrooms, a rich and healthy food that you can add to both your salads and stir-fries.
As for fish, cod is in season and others are added to this, such as the swordfish, which is very delicious to cook on the grill, and also the anchovies that prepared in vinegar are very rich and healthy.
Summary of seasonal food for April.
- Fruits: Strawberries, kiwis, lemon, lime, orange, banana, passion fruit, apricots, loquat, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit, avocado, apple and persimmons.
- Vegetables: snow peas, young beans, peas, spinach, leeks, zucchini, broccoli, garlic, asparagus, beets, cucumbers, radishes, leeks, carrots, celery, artichokes, cabbage, lettuce, squash, eggplant, green beans and endives.
- Fish: Eels, eel, cod, sea bream, mackerel, carp, lamprey, sea bass, grouper, cobbler, perch, salmon, shark and trout.
- Seafood: Cockles, clams, razor clams, scampi, prawns, prawns, mussels, oysters, cuttlefish, cuttlefish, shrimp, octopus, barnacles and scallops.
- Meats: Woodcock, beef, quail, maids, pheasant, chicken, liver, wild boar, hare, gizzards, cow, deer, suckling pig, rabbit, lamb, pheasant, chicken, pork, duck, turkey, partridge, chicken and veal.